The student will be trained in Anatomy & Physiology with Medical Terminology incorporated, General College Mathematics, Lifespan Development, Communications, Physics, and imaging specialties such as OB/GYN, Abdominal, Breast, Echo, Vascular, and Pediatric Sonography. As a Sonographer the student will train to be able to provide patient services in a variety of medial settings using medical ultrasound under the supervision of a physician. The student will be trained to perform ultrasound studies as ordered by physicians for their patients. The student will be trained to perform appropriate procedures and record anatomical, pathological, and/or physiological data as well as sonographic data and other pertinent observations made during the procedures. The student will attend 630 hours of extern, which will allow the student to apply the principles obtained during the Sonography program. After the completion of the Physics portion of the program the student will be eligible to take the Sonography Principles & Instrumentation (SPI) examination through the American Registry for Diagnostic Medical Sonographers. When all requirements have been met the student will qualify to sit for the RDMS, RDCS, or RVT registries. Students should complete the program in 6 semesters for day class, and 7.5 semesters for night class.
The student must complete:
• 81 Credit Hours
• Successfully complete each course with at least a 70% (GPA 2.0)
• Achieve 100% on lab participation
• 630 hours of clinical experience in a clinic or hospital. This will allow the student to apply the principles of patient services in a variety of medial settings using ultrasound under the supervision of a physician. Emphasis will be on basic skills of a Sonographer. This rotation will be completed the last two semesters of enrollment.
• The student then must complete one year of clinical sonography to be eligible for the specialty examinations. NGNA is currently under Prerequisite 1 with ARDMS. This prerequisite requires 12 months of full-time clinical ultrasound experience before graduates can register for any of the specialty examinations.
• Minimum Program Expectations applied to each concentration course objectives: To prepare competent entry-level general sonographers in the cognitive (knowledge), psychomotor (skills), and affective (behavior) learning domains
General Education Courses (Included in the Program)
• College Mathematics
• Introduction to Communication
• Developmental Psychology
• Anatomy & Physiology I with Medical Terminology
• Introduction to Physics I
Concentration Courses (Included in the Program)
• Introduction to Diagnostic Medical Sonography I
• Abdomen and Small Parts Sonography I
• Introduction to Scanning
• Abdominal & Small Parts Sonography II
• OB/GYN Sonography I
• Physics II
• Pediatric Sonography
• Vascular Sonography
• Cardiac Sonography I
• OB/GYN Sonography II
• Cardiac Sonography II
• Cardiac Sonography III
• Cardiac Sonography Review
• Clinical Externship I
• Clinical Externship II
* NGNA will review official transcripts of applicants that are accepted into the program for potential transfer credits. Only courses completed within two years will be considered. Tuition amount will differ if credits are accepted for transfer.
Total Cost of the Program: $32,590.00
Books & Supplies: $1980.00
Application Fee; $100.00
Application fee is paid when applying for the program. Books & Supplies cost is paid after the applicant has been accepted into the Program. Payment Plans are available for the tuition amount.
Day Schedule: Mondays, Tuesdays, & Wednesdays
Length of Program: 22 Months (95 Weeks)
Night Schedule: Mondays, Tuesdays, & Wednesdays
Length of Program: 30 Months (129 Weeks)
This length includes two semesters or 630 hours of externship and semester breaks
Upcoming Program Start Dates:
October 3rd, 2022 - Day Class Schedule Only
Please reach out to Admissions for deadlines to apply for this start date.
Requirements to Enroll:
Passing the Accuplacer Entrance Examination provided at NGNA
Current Government Issued Picture ID
Social Security Card
High School Diploma/Transcripts
Clean Background Check